• Name: Kyra

  • State or Country of residence: AL/USA

  • Sex: Female

  • Age: 34

  • Quinolone taken: Levaquin

  • Reason for the Quinolone: Sinus Infection

  • Was a safer antibiotic tried first? : No

  • How long did you take the Quinolone for? :  10 Days

  • How long ago did you take the Quinolone?: 6 Months

  • How much have you recovered as of now?: 30%

  • How often do you relapse or cycle?: 2 months

  • Does your doctor agree the Quinolone is the cause of your problems?: No

  • Do you have a history of seizures or neurological problems?: No

  • Please list anything your doctor did that helped in your recovery:  Muscle relaxers, lots of lab work, sending me to MS Specialist, mentioned it COULD be the Levaquin

  • What has helped you in your recovery?: More rest, pain relievers, not a lot helps




Kyra's Story

I took a 10 day course of Levaquin in Feb 2005 for a persistent sinus infection.

This was not my first time on the drug, I had taken it previously, once for sinus and once for a UTI.

I thought it would work well. About the 3rd to 4th day on the med, I was having terrible night sweats and charley horses in my calf. I thought it was a side effect of the "infection", so I kept on taking the LQ.

On the 10th day, I was still having trouble sleeping at night and had sharp pain in my left calf, but I had to travel on business. During the travel, my leg pain got worse, and I started having severe pain in my back and abdomen. By the time I landed, I wasn't sure if I was getting a stomach virus or having a heart attack. I just knew I felt WEIRD and BAD.

Coworkers insisted on taking me to the ER. The doc suspected a PE because of the leg pain, back pain and flight. D-dimer was positive but catscan was neg. My WBC was 18,000. He said it was a virus and could go.

I wanted to know "how is this possible?" I had just taken 10 days of antibiotics and had no fever. Sinus infection seemed to be gone. I was baffled, scared and felt BAD. Super tired and in pain, but he gave me some Toradol and I was optimistic I would feel better in the am.

I was wrong, When the toradol wore off, I was still in pain. Cancelled my trip and went home and made an appt to see an internist. It took three days to get in. By this time, my labs showed WBC returning to normal but still elevated, 11,000. Sed rate was very high. I was having terrible, terrible cramps by this time. Cramps in my toes, my feet, my hands, my fingers were drawing up spontaneously. Would have as many as 40 foot cramps in an hour. He never mentioned it could have been the LQ (he did not prescribe it, an urgent care doc had).

He referred me to a neuro for testing for the cramps, but thought it was from a virus. Went to see the neuro, he said it could be MS but was too soon to tell. Scheduled for follow-up that I didn't keep. I left with no answers, frustrated.

Last Updated 9/03/05